Entertainment Work Permits: Employment of Minors as Child Actors

These links provide information on Child Actors working in the California Film Industry and the adults who supervise their activity while employed in the production environment:

California State Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) "

Child Performer Services Permit - Frequently Asked Questions

Information on Minors and Employment

California Child Labor Code

Entertainment Industry Summary Chart - - Age & Work Hours

DIR/DLSE Offices

Van Nuys - Entertainment Work Permit Unit

6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Room 100

Van Nuys, CA 91401


Walk In Service Available At This Location Monday through Friday

Effective June 1st, 2015, our office hours will change. The NEW hours, for same-day walk-in service will be:

Monday - 9:00 am to 12:00 pm only

Tuesday- 9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Wednesday - 9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Thursday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Friday 9:00 am to 12:00 pm only

Procedure for Obtaining Entertainment Work Permit by Minor Division of Labor Standards Enforcement - Employment of Minors in the Entertainment Industry An application is required by each: Minor and Production Company

10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit

Online permit application - - 2-3 week turnaround time

Mail-in or walk-in applications - - 6-8 week turnaround time

Child Actor Work Permit Service

Children In Film

Selecting a Studio Teacher or Welfare Worker

California Department of Industrial Relations (DIR)

Studio Teachers Certification

Studio Teachers Database

Studio Teachers Local 884

The Studio Teachers Welfare Workers Local 884

Screen Actors Guild (SAG)

Young Performers in California

Coogan Law

U.S. Department of Labor

Youth & Labor Entertainment Industry Employment

Child Advocacy

A Minor Consideration

Young Workers' Health and Safety Website