State Film Permits

Online Permit ApplicationApply for your permit to shoot on state-owned property and track your permit status.

The California Film Commission (CFC) requires that all state permit applications must be submitted 4 business days / 96 hours (weekends and holidays are not considered business days) prior to the first prep/shoot day. Caltrans ramp and lane closuresrequire a minimum of at least twelve (12) business days in advance of prep/shoot; freeway closures require a minimum of sixteen (16) business days. Thank you for your cooperation.

Monitor Payments and Permit Issuance: The California Film Commission cannot issue permits until all estimated monitor fees and other cost recovery payments have been received by the permit staff. This rule applies to all permit requests without exception.

Insurance Requirements for Filming Beginning January 1, 2013, the CFC will require two additional insurance documents for companies applying to film on State owned or controlled property. Clickhere for details.

State Permit and Monitor Fees

UAS / Drones on State Property

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding State Film PermitsAnswers to the most frequently asked questions about applying for state film permits, film monitor costs, insurance, special effects permits and more!

Guide to Filming on State Property State film permits are easily obtained by following the guidelines in this factsheet.

Filming on California Roadways - CaltransThe California Film Commission(CFC) facilitates filming on California's roadways through its close partnership with the Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Working with Caltrans, the California Film Commission issues film permits for all state highways and freeways.

Film Production Safety in California Fire Marshal Film Liaison provides hands-on assistance for pyrotechnics.